Monday, June 13, 2011

A Chance to bake!

We have been just so busy, with soccer, yoga, gardening, and household duties there just isn't enough time to get to baking. Our days have been so filled with the enjoying the outside! But today has been a bit of a quiet day around here and we needed some cookies for the week so instead of making my usual chocolate chip recipe I decided to try and make one of my old favorites Gluten Free instead! This recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs 101 Cookbooks by Heidi Swanson she has some really fabulous recipes! This one we had made last year before I became ill and we loved it but haven't made it again since. A week or two ago I decided I was going to try and make it Gluten Free but needed to put some thought into the flour blend I wanted to use. Today however I decided to keep it simple and see how it turned, Yummy is the word used to describe these cookies by my Son. The recipe is called Animal Cracker Cookie and they are just so cute and fun. I found my little cookie cutters at bulk barn they have quite a selection of them. I also found some at a local kitchen store called Peppers. You can go to the above link to see the original recipe and below I will post my Gluten Free version of Animal Cracker Cookie.

Animal Cracker Cookie

Ingredients
1/2 C Brown Rice Flour
1/2 C Sweet White Sorghum Flour
1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
1/4 C Almond Meal
1/2 C Unsweetened Finely Shredded Coconut, very finely minced
1/4 C Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil, softened
1/3 C Fine Grain Natural Cane Sugar
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 Lrg Brown Egg, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp Organic Unsweetened Apple Sauce
A few Tbsp Organic Demerara Sugar

  1. Whisk together your flours, almond meal, xantham gum, and coconut in separate bowl and set aside.
  2. Combine your coconut oil, sugar and salt into your mixing bowl and mix until forms a brown sugar frosting consistancy then add in your egg and beat until uniform.
  3. Add your flour mixture and stir until just incorporated and add your apple sauce one Tbsp at a time until the dough sticks together in a ball.
  4. Split into 2 balls and place a parchment paper and flatten each one.
  5. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
  6. Roll out dough on your parchment paper until it is about 1/4" to 1/8" thick depending on how you like them. Cut out your shapes laying them on a parchment lined cookie tray about an inch apart.
  7. Sprinkle with your demerara sugar and bake for 7-9 mins just until the edges turn brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment